The 2023-2024 roadmap, as revealed in conversations with developers at OpenAI's Tour 2023 London
- Cheaper and faster GPT-4 - top priority
- Longer context windows - 1 million token window is expected to be realised in the near future
- Fine-tuning API - Expect the fine-tuning API to be extended to newer models
- Stateful APIs - Current chat APIs need to send the entire conversation to remember context, but in the future we'll see APIs that remember conversation history.
- In 2024, multimodality - support for multimedia, including images. Demonstrated as part of GPT-4 rollout, but won't be open to all users until we get more GPUs
- No intention to compete with customers - will not launch any other products besides ChatGPT
- The vision of ChatGPT is to become a super-smart assistant - ChatGPT is just a platform and a hub, so feel free to build new AI services on it.
- Advocates for scaling laws - they have internal data and expect their model to double or triple in size every year rather than grow by a few orders of magnitude.